The
mobile application I chose is the Ashford Canvas mobile application. The reason
I decided to review this application is due to how frequently I have used it
throughout my experience at Ashford. I find this application to be very user
friendly, especially for someone who is just getting started at Ashford. The
application includes most functions that one would find accessing classes on a
computer. When the application is opened, the first screen you see is the
current class you are in. You can set the application to show all past courses
as well. Once you click on the course you want to enter, users will see the
same home page seen on the website. Announcements, syllabus, modules, and grade
are all options that can be selected. The modules are broken down by weeks one
through five, and within each week, users will find all necessary work,
discussions, resources, and lectures.
Figure
1.
Ashford dashboard
Most
classes allow users to access the resources required for the course directly
from the application. Clicking on the resource link within a specific week will
open a window showing a link to the classes’ E-book. Clicking this link will
open the textbook externally. The application also gives users the option to
post discussions and replies directly in the app as well as launching external
tools such as Waypoint to turn in writing assignments. I find the design of the
application to be pleasing. The application also has the option for a different
color overlay, which I have found makes it easier to identify individual
classes. There is also an option to show the overall grade for each course.
These options are available in the menu list easily accessible from the
dashboard page. Users can also access profile, change settings, get help, and
view files through the menu. These options are easy to locate due to a very
user-friendly design.
Figure
2.
Course window
Another
few essential features found on the dashboard page are the calendar, to-do
list., notifications, and inbox. These are also very straightforward to access.
The calendar is great as users can use this along with the to-do list and
notifications to see what assignments are due on specific days. The inbox is
also helpful if users need to send messages to individuals in the class or
faculty. Once again, the design of these features makes things very easy to
understand and navigate.
Although
I am very pleased with the functionality and design of this application, there
are a few changes that can be made to improve usability. One recommendation is regarding
the notifications that can be set up on a user’s device. Although there are
numerous options for notifications, the options are not very clear. There are
two notification options for discussions which include discussion post and
discussion. The next option is conversations which include added to
conversation, conversation message, and conversation created by me. A user
might only want notifications when someone replies to their post. If this an option,
a user might need a clearer explanation of how these notifications work as I
have not been able to figure this out. Another recommendation would be to add
the collapse replies button to the application within discussions. If a user
posts later in the week, they are required to scroll through every previous
post and reply to find theirs, which can be time-consuming. The last
recommendation I would suggest is adding more word processing options within
discussion reply boxes. The are some discussions I have seen that require
formatting like APA. The application doesn’t have the option for different
fonts or line spacing options.
Figure 4. Notification
preferences
References
Zovio Inc. (2018).
Ashford University Mobile (3.2.4) [Mobile application software] Retrieved from http://itunes.apple.com
No comments:
Post a Comment